Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF's.  To download a free copy, click on the Acrobat Reader icon.

Consumer Legal Assistance And Advocacy
These resources can assist you in understanding your legal rights and for filing complaints involving the purchase of a house or with mortgage lender transactions.

Child Abuse Reporting
1-(800) 252-5400

To report child abuse or suspected child endangerment, call the Texas Department Family and Protective Services at
1-(800) 252-5400
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program

Houston Bar Association  (713) 228-0735
Texas Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner 
2601 North Lamar
Austin, TX 78705-4207

1-(800) 538-1579
c/o Gary Meissner, Manager of Consumer Assistance
Center Point Hard to Reach Summer Program
Starts June 12, 2006
Consumer Credit Counseling
The Harris County Dispute Resolution Center
(713) 755-8274
offers pro bono mediation for tenant disputes.

Houston Center for Independent Living (HCIL)

The Houston Center for Independent Living offers housing advocacy for people with disabilities.  For help with landlord/tenant issues, relocating from nursing home, owning your own home, and rental information/referral call HCIL at (713) 974-4621 and ask for the Housing Advocate.

Legal Hotline of Age 60 and older 1 (800) 622-2520
Texas Savings and Loan Assoc. 
1-(877) 276-5550 / (512) 475-1350

The Texas Residential Construction Commission provides Texas Homeowners and the residential construction industry an opportunity to resolve differences through a neutral dispute resolution process and ongoing education.  For the toll free helpline,
call 877-651-TRCC.

Landlord and Tenant Rights and Discrimination
Wheelchair SymbolFor advocacy programs and services on barrier free living through the Housing Alliance Project, contact the Houston Center for Independent Living at (713) 974-4621. 
For information on housing discrimination and fair housing initiatives, call the Greater Houston Fair Housing Center at  (713) 641-3247.
For information on legal terms and concerns of landlord and tenants, click here.
The Harris County Dispute Resolution Center (713) 755-8274 offers pro bono mediation for tenant disputes.
For information from the Texas Tenant Advisor, click here.
For information about landlord and tenant issues from the People's Lawyer, click here

Food Stamps and Social Services For All Age Groups and Disabilities
For information on food stamps and supportive services for the aged and disabled, please visit their new Internet sites:

Texas Health and Human Services

Department of Aging and Disability Services

Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services

Department of Family and Protective Services

Department of State Health Services

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer

This site is best viewed using an 800x600 screen resolution with Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape  versions 4.0 or above.

For suggestions or comments regarding this site please email us at